- The new Mine Health and Safety Act was to be drafted so that it can provide the comprehensive legal framework for creating a healthy and safe working environment;
- Restructuring of the enforcement agency;
- Promulgation of regulations on rock falls and rock burst;
- Promulgation of regulations and measures to protect the health of workers including occupational and medical surveillance programmes with specific reference to Tuberculosis;
- Restructure research institutions and health information systems;
- Ensure appropriate training and certification of all workers in the mining industry
It provides for the regulation of associated minerals, partitioning of rights and enhance provisions relating to beneficiation of minerals.
Section 9 of MHSC requires Employer to prepare and implement the COP on any matter affecting the health and safety of employees and other persons who might be directly affected by activities at the mine.